CENTURI Internal newsletter #21
PI call 2020 | Update on the call
As mentioned in our last newsletter, 4 PI candidates have been invited to visit us in Marseille, to discuss their application. 2 of them have already visited us, the other 2 are expected to do so in the following weeks / months. We will keep you informed in the following newsletters of the outcome of these applications.
Postdoc call | UPDATE ON THE CALL
Our Postdoc call interviews took place online on June 18 & 19, 2020. 8 candidates have been proposed a postdoc position and 7 of them have accepted so far:
- Clara Dussaux, project “Long-term functional connectivity dynamics during brain development”, under the supervision of Rosa Cossart (INMED), Alain Barrat (CPT) and Hervé Rouault (CPT-INMED).
- Alexander Erlich, project “The mechanical basis of biological size control and growth termination”, under the supervision of Christophe Eloy (IRPHE) and Thomas Lecuit (IBDM)
- Simon Gsell, project “Computational modeling of the interplay between cell differentiation and mechanics in embryoids”, under the supervision of Matthias Merkel (CPT) and Pierre-François Lenne (IBDM)
- Annafrancesca Rigato, project “Junctional buckling and actin remodeling: the impact of cytoskeleton mechanics on epidermal morphogenesis”, under the supervision of Loïc Le Goff (Institut Fresnel) and Alphée Michelot (IBDM).
- Dmitrii Suchkov, project “Multimodal exploration of pre-epileptic structural and circuit-levels changes in brain malformations”, the supervision of Jean-Bernard Manent (INMED), Thomas Chaigne (Institut Fresnel) and Marat Minlebaiev (INMED).
- Elisabeth Wieduwild, project “Memory B cell dynamics in the skin”, under the supervision of Mauro Gaya (CIML) and Marie-Pierre Valignat (LAI).
- Francesca Zaccagnino, project Contextualisation of signalling fluctuations in resilient versus vulnerable biological systems: an experimental and modelling approach”, under the supervision of Flavio Maina (IBDM) and Elisabeth Rémy (I2M).
PhD call | UPDATE ON THE CALL
Following our PhD auditions in the end of April, 12 PhD students will join CENTURI in Autumn 2020. An event will take place in November 2020 to welcome them to the CENTURI community.
Physics of Living Matter 15 | Abstract submission closed
The 15th edition of the symposium Physics of Living Matter (PLM 15) will be organised as a free online webinar, on October 1st and 2nd, 2020. Registration for the webinar is free, but mandatory, at the following address: https://centuri-livingsystems.org/plm15/. Once registered on CENTURI website, you will receive an invitation email with the information to register to the webinar.
The short talk submission is now closed. CENTURI has received a total of 105 abstracts for a short talk and will select 11 of them for the online conference. These abstracts will be reviewed in the following weeks by the Organizing committee.
CENTURI Career Breakfasts
CENTURI will be organizing from September 2020 a new monthly event for its PhD students and postdoctoral fellows, namely Career breakfasts. These breakfasts are aimed at presenting different career perspectives and career paths than academia to young researchers, especially industry and entrepreneurship. It is also meant to encourage participants to think about their career wishes from the start of their PhD.
During these events, guests will present (in English) their career paths, how they reached their current position, the assets and limitations of their field, etc. CENTURI will try to invite entrepreneurs in the field of life sciences and start-up creation. The breakfast itself will consist of It consists of an informal interactive presentation and free discussion.
Our first guest will be Vincent Fert, Co-founder and CEO of HalioDx, an immuno-oncology diagnostic company with more than 80 employees. The first career breakfast will take place on September 15, at 08.30 a.m, in room G02.10 (TPR1, entry G, 2nd floor).
To register, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CENTURI Scientific day – PhD / Postdoc day
CENTURI PhD and Postdoc day has been rescheduled to September 24th, 2020.
Our event will take place at the Hexagone (Campus de Luminy), we will keep informed you if there are changes in the event’s organisation.
This special edition of our CENTURI scientific day will promote the work of the Postdocs and PhD students from our community via short talks and posters.
The PhD / Postdoc day will start at 09h30 with a welcoming coffee and end at 17h00.
We wish to remind you that our event is open to everyone, regardless of their status (permanent researchers, engineers, postdocs, PhD students, etc.). We encourage you to join us on September 24th!
For organisation purposes, we kindly ask you to register (registration is free but mandatory). Due to the auditorium’s capacity we will be able to welcome only a 100 members of our community.
Engineers’ breakfast / Open desk #4
CENTURI organized on July 2 its first post-lockdown event with its 4th Engineer’s breakfast / Open desk. We were glad to see members of our community join us from 09h00 to 12h00.
We were informed that some of you could not access the building because of an issue with the TPR1 building’s doors. We apologize to those of you who could not meet our multi-engineering platform’s team. We wish to remind you that you can still contact them at email@example.com
CENTURI Seminar Series – New season
We would like to thank you all for joining us on June 29 for our last CENTURI webinar of this 2019-2020 season. Our seminars will be back on September 7, 2020, with Raluca Eftimie (University of Dundee).
CENTURI is seeking 2 engineers for the multi-engineering platform
CENTURI is seeking 2 higly motivated research engineers to fill:
- One position of data neuroscientist – neuroscience data processing
- One position of data analyst – bioinformatics
These positions (description enclosed) will be central points of data analysis, data sharing and code sharing for our research community. The 2 engineers would join our multi-engineering platform and are expected to start in September 2020.
Deadline for application: until the vacancy is filled
Gross monthly salary: between € 1,870 and € 3,500 (depending on profile and experience).
Contract: 2-year contract (renewable)
New EMBO member in our community
It is with great pleasure that we can announce that Pierre Francois Lenne (IBDM) has been elected as an EMBO member. Congratulations!
New PI joins CENTURI: Juan Reguera (AFMB)
We are glad to announce that Juan Reguera (AFMB) has joined our CENTURI community. Juan is the head of the Viral Macromolecular Complexes team.
Juan Reguera is the 3rd member of the AFMB to join our community, after Alain Roussel and Isabelle Imbert.