Job OfferOptics and Biophotonics Engineer
CENTURI is looking for a research engineer specializing in optics and biophotonics. The engineer will be responsible for the design, implementation and evolution of complex and specialized experimental devices within the CENTURI community.
Job duties include, but are not restricted to
- Design setups (find solutions, draw optical plans, do technological watch)
- Ensure their development in an optimal, methodical and robust way,
- Validate the setups (experimentation, metrology, analysis and interpretation of results),
- Ensure their technological transfer (patent, management on the CENTURI platforms),
- Write operating, use and safety protocols and rules
- Train and support students, researchers, post-doctoral fellows, engineers and technicians on the various equipment (commercial microscopes and specialized prototypes)
- Identify specific needs, study feasibility, propose appropriate solutions and manage their implementation / or find the expert you are looking for within the CENTURI community
- Interact with the R&D teams of the industrial partners to remove technological barriers.
Optical instrumentation for biology will be at the core of the project, including designing and implementing optical systems dedicated to answering specific biological questions. The successful candidate will be part of CENTURI multiengineering platform, which offers a highly collaborative working environment. The position will give the opportunity to develop state-of-the-art experimental microscopy tools while gaining knowledge on a broad range of quantitative biology subjects.
Your qualifications / expected profile
You have a PhD (preferred) in optics or biophotonics.
You have a strong experience in research support or research in the fields of microscopy and optical instrumentation for biology (wide field microscopy, confocal, multiphoton, super-resolution, light sheet, optical tweezers, fiber probes...). Experience in a service facility is advantageous. Teaching experience would be a plus.
You will have strong team-playing abilities and be able to interact with researchers from many fields, including biology, physics, mathematics and computer science. A friendly, outgoing personality and excellent communication skills are required, as is the ability to work independently.
You will be able to manage several projects in parallel, have a clear vision of the objectives to be reached, identify the essential steps, monitor the progress of the various tasks (objectives, resources)
The working language of CENTURI is English, but proficiency in French is beneficial.
What we offer
CENTURI offers a vibrant, highly interactive working environment with the ability to work with researchers and engineers from many disciplines.
CENTURI offers a two-year contract from Aix-Marseille University (renewable). The salary will be based on Aix-Marseille University’s salary scale, with a gross monthly salary between € 1,870 and € 3,500 (depending on profile and experience).
Application deadline: once the vacancy is filled.
Expected start date: from January 2022
Applications should include:
- A CV, including a list of publications
- A cover letter, describing past experience with data analysis
- Two recommendation letters