CENTURI Internal newsletter #12 - October 2019
CENTURI 2019-2020 PhD - Save the dates!
Our CENTURI 2020 PhD call will open in January 2020. CENTURI will recruit up to 16 PhD students in this call, starting in October 2020.
Your help would be very precious and contribute to the success of the call. Please share this save the dates in your network / social networks.
We remind that our PhD call 2019-2020 – agenda is the following:
- Collection of PhD projects from research teams: November 18-December 31, 2019
- Publication of projects and opening of the call for candidates: January 15- February 16, 2002
- Pre-selection of candidates (PIs who proposed a project and ad hoc committee): February 17– March 13, 2020
- Interviews (PIs and ad hoc committee): April 22-24, 2020
- Results of the call (ad hoc committee): April 28, 2020
- Final answer (from candidates): May 7, 2020
- Beginning of PhD: October 2020
4th CENTURI Scientific day – Imaging – November 22
Our fourth CENTURI Scientific day will take place on November 22, the whole day, at Amphi Joseph Aiguier (31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, MARSEILLE).
This day will include three sessions on:
- Imaging and instrument development
- Data science – numerical methods and data processing
- Imaging challenges in biology
Like previous editions, this scientific day aims at fostering new interdisciplinary collaborations and projects within our community. To propose a short presentation or a poster during that day, please write an email describing shortly the title of your talk or poster and a short description (3-4 lines) to Simon Legendre (email@example.com), by October 23 at the latest.
CENTURI Scientific day also includes a scientific photo contest. So far, we have not received enough proposals to maintain the contest. If you wish to participate, please send us your photo very shortly!
To participate, send your image (1 per person & 300 dpi minimum) to Gael LE MEHAUTE (firstname.lastname@example.org) before October 25, 2019. The images will be displayed during the poster session so please make sure that you have the rights to share the file and don’t forget to add the following information:
- Title of the picture
- A quick nonscientific explanation of the content (bear in mind that colleagues from other fields will also be present)
A camera drone will be awarded to the winner of the contest at the end of the poster session.
CENTURI internship programs 2020
CENTURI engineer internship program 2020
CENTURI will fund up to 8 internships for 2020, coupled with CENTURI Summer School (CENTURI will only fund interns who participate in the summer school). The summer school will take place from June 16 to June 25 and will be entitled “From Data to biology and back – reverse engineering biological networks”.
CENTURI aims to attract engineering students from the Grandes Ecoles to our laboratories.
To propose a summer internship for an engineering student, please fill in the form (in English) and e-mail it to email@example.com , by October 22, 2019. We will then share these internship proposals with engineering schools and publish them on CENTURI website.
Oxford – CENTURI internship program 2020
CENTURI internship program with Oxford University will continue in 2020. This program aims to fund summer internships for undergraduate students from Oxford University. In 2020, CENTURI will fund the internship stipend (around € 550 / month). Host teams will be required to arrange accommodation for the students, at the CROUS, and cover the cost.
Internship dates: between June 22, 2020 (at the earliest) and October 8, 2020 (at the latest), for up to 12 weeks.
Internships offers will have to have to be interdisciplinary (for example, a physics, mathematics or computer science students in a biology lab).
CENTURI Seminar series 2020 - 2021 | Suggestions of speakers
The program for our 2019-2020 CENTURI seminars is now finalized.
Our CENTURI Seminars and Research committees is now receiving suggestion of speakers for our 2020-2021 season of our CENTURI Seminar series.
In summary, invited speakers should respect the following criteria:
1) their research topic should be interesting for the broader CENTURI community
2) their talk should be aimed at a broad interdisciplinary audience of biologists, physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists, from senior scientists to Master and PhD students. The suggested speakers shall therefore be able to speak to such a diverse audience
Please be aware that if you suggest a speaker, you will be the official host of the speaker. As such, you will be responsible for organising the schedule of the visit as well as the tutored seminar that will take place. All other aspects (accommodation and flights) will be taken care of by the CENTURI management team.
To suggest a seminars, please send your form to Simon Legendre (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline: October 23, 2019
First CENTURI Engineers’ Breakfast / open desk
Our first CENTURI Engineers’ Breakfast / open desk took place on Friday, October 18, in room G210 (TPR1 building, 2nd floor, entrance G).
More than 30 members of our community stopped by the open desk to meet and discuss with CENTURI engineers from 9h00 am to 12h00.
The “Engineers’ breakfasts” aim to encourage new scientific interactions within our community and to propose an open desk where you can ask all your engineering questions in bioinformatics, image data processing, optics and software development.
You can contact them before that by using the following address: email@example.com
CENTURI Training course – Cell biology by the numbers (November 4-8, 2019)
The second edition of the training course entitled “Cell Biology by the Numbers” by Rob Phillips (California Institute of technology, USA) will take place from November 4 to November 8, 2019. The course « Cell biology by the numbers » will highlight the key numbers which describe the lives of the cells and the necessary efforts to provide definitive statements about their value.
CENTURI 2019 Scientific meeting
Our CENTURI 2019 scientific meeting (CSM2019) took place in Cargèse, Corsica, from September 30 to October 04, 2019.
We welcomed about 90 scientists from various disciplines (biology, physics, mathematics, computer science) to discuss about a wide range of topics in life sciences.
Next CENTURI Seminars
Unless mentioned otherwise, the CENTURI seminars take place in the Hexagone's auditorium (01:30 p.m. to 02:30 p.m.).
- External Seminar - November 04: Raymond Goldstein (University of Cambridge, UK)
Upside-Down and Inside-Out: The Biomechanics of Cell Sheet Folding
- External Seminar - November 18: Marie Doumic (INRIA, Paris, France) & Wei-Feng XUE (University of Kent, UK)
The Division of Amyloid Fibrils – Theory, Experiments and Predictions
- Internal Seminar - November 25: Philippe Pierre (CIML)
- External Seminar - December 09: Patrick Tabeling (ESPCI, Paris, France)
- External Seminar - December 16: Carl-Philip Heisenberg (Institute of Science and Technology, Austria)