CENTURI Internal newsletter #9 - June 2019
CENTURI 2019 Scientific meeting - extended abstract submission deadline
The abstract submission deadline to our CENTURI 2019 scientific meeting has been extended to June 30, 2019. The meeting will include 18 talks given by high-level invited speakers from all over the world, as well as 15 short talks and 2 poster sessions.
We warmly encourage students and postdocs from our community to submit their abstract.
We remind you that CENTURI 2019 scientific meeting is an interdisciplinary scientific conference that will focus on “Self-organization in multicellular systems”. This edition will take place in Cargèse, Corsica, from September 30 to October 04, 2019.
Registration deadline: July 30, 2019
Abstract submission deadline: June 30, 2019
Registration fees: 300€
CENTURI Summer School 2019 - a look back at a successful first edition
Our first Summer School entitled “From data to biology and back” took place from June 3 to June 12, 2019.
21 students from all over the world gathered in Luminy for 7 days of training, to explore interdisciplinary science and apply their skills in mathematics, physics and computational science to biological questions. The objective of the summer school was to give students from diverse backgrounds (mostly engineering, MSc and PhD students) a better view of the complex analytical challenges that make studying life sciences so exciting.
The programme is divided in 2 parts:
- Morning courses, where students explored open questions in biology with high-level speakers and discovered experimental approaches in biology
- Group projects in the afternoon, where students worked in small groups (3-4 students) on biological data analysis challenges, using state-of-the-art technologies
The students all presented the results of their projects on Wednesday, June 12, in front of the tutors and the researchers who had proposed the project. All the summer school participants expressed their satisfaction with the content of the school. The success of this first edition will lead to another edition next year. Stay tuned!
An update on CENTURI Postdoc Call 2019
CENTURI Postdoc call was open until April 26, 2019 and collected a total of 45 applications, including 5 people who proposed their own project. 14 candidates will attend the in-person interviews on June 27 and 28, on the Luminy campus, for a total of 5 open positions.
The next steps of the postdoc call are the following:
- June 27-28: in-person interviews in Marseille
- June 28 or July 1st: decision by the evaluation committee
- By July 9: final answer from candidates
The selected postdoctoral fellows will join CENTURI laboratories in Autumn 2019.
An update on CENTURI PhD Call 2019
CENTURI evaluation committee met at the end of April 2019 to select the candidates of CENTURI PhD call. A total of 11 PhD students will join CENTURI laboratories, between September and November.
We are delighted to welcome these new PhD students in the CENTURI community!
Next CENTURI Seminars
Unless mentioned otherwise, the CENTURI seminars take place in the Hexagone's auditorium (01:30 p.m. to 02:30 p.m.).
- Internal Seminar - July 08: Cécile Capponi (LIS)
An humble testament of the couple bio/Machine learning research: when a variety meets another variety
- Internal Seminar - September 09: Kheya Sengupta (CINAM)
- External Seminar - September 16: Michael Way (Francis Crick Institute, London, UK)
- Internal Seminar - October 07: Philippe Pierre (CIML)
- External Seminar - October 14: Alain Goriely (Oxford University, UK)
- External Seminar - November 04: Raymond Goldstein (University of Cambridge, UK)
- External Seminar - November 18: Marie Doumic (INRIA, Paris, France) & Wei-Feng XUE (University of Kent, UK)