Job OfferSoftware research engineer
CENTURI is looking for a research engineer specializing in software development, with system administration skills. The engineer will support and advise on projects involving interactive data analysis and graphical interfacing for biologist users. In addition, he/she will be involved in system administration for the management of imaging, transcriptomics and genomics databases within the CENTURI multiengineering platform. This position will be central to the development and sharing of data and code for the CENTURI research community.
Job duties include, but are not restricted to
- Develop software for and with CENTURI researchers: user interfaces, data analysis, control of experimental devices, mainly in Python.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of the digital infrastructure of the platform: management of shared development tools (mainly Github), management of the platform server: Linux administration, application deployment with Docker
- Assist in the transfer of knowledge between CENTURI project teams and automate data analysis workflows, assist in the publication of digital tools created by the community
- Promote Open Science: facilitate open access, creation of online educational resources, open source development, publication of open data and data sharing methods, etc.
Data curation and management will be at the heart of the project. The successful candidate will be part of CENTURI's multiengineering platform. The successful candidate's expertise will contribute to software development projects for biology users and will be able to learn from and share their skills with the CENTURI research community.
Your qualifications / expected profile
CENTURI is looking for a candidate with a Master's degree or PhD in computer science or scientific computing, with a strong interest and experience in database management and in creating data analysis workflows on properly curated data.
The successful candidate will already have an experience in an industrial or research environment in software development, data management and digital storage (including server setup). Experience in a service platform would be a strong asset.
The successful candidate will be able to work in a team and interact with researchers in various fields (biology, physics, mathematics and computer science). CENTURI is looking for an open-minded individual with strong communication skills and the ability to work independently. Teaching experience would also be appreciated.
CENTURI's working language is English and therefore fluency is essential. Fluency in French is an asset.
What we offer
CENTURI offers a vibrant, highly interactive working environment with the ability to work with researchers and engineers from many disciplines.
CENTURI offers a two-year contract from Aix-Marseille University (renewable). The salary will be based on Aix-Marseille University’s salary scale, with a gross monthly salary between € 1,870 and € 3,500 (depending on profile and experience).
If you are interested, please apply online at the following address:
Application deadline: once the vacancy is filled.
Expected start date: as soon as possible
Applications should include:
- A CV, including a list of publications
- A cover letter, describing past experience with software engineering, database management and data curation
- Two recommendation letters