Job OfferData analyst
The Turing Centre is seeking a highly motivated research engineer to fill the post of ‘leading data scientist/data analyst’, within CENTURI’s technology transfer platform. This position will be a central point of data analysis, data sharing and code sharing of our research community.
Job duties include, but are not restricted to
- Advise and provide support to researchers with data analysis and data mining (such as large data analysis and integration, unsupervised/supervised learning, dimension reduction, statistics, genome analysis, modeling, deep learning techniques, etc.)
- Having a theoretical understanding of the algorithms used for data analysis and performing independent literature search, update and interpretation.
- Organize and conduct courses on bioinformatics and data analysis for the CENTURI community: PhD students, postdocs, researchers
- Help in the setup of an infrastructure for data sharing within the CENTURI project
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure of software sharing and code transfer within the CENTURI project
- Assistance in technology transfer between the teams of the CENTURI project
- Help transfer tools and skills towards research groups and platforms
The types of data we currently foresee includes (non-exhaustive list): high-throughput sequencing data, epigenetics, genomics, proteomics, metagenomics, connectomics, image analysis, electrophysiological signals, spike time series.
The successful candidate will be managing the data lab team of the CENTURI engineering platform.
Your qualifications / expected profile
You have a Master’s degree (at least) or a PhD (preferred) in bioinformatics, computational biology or data science (University, engineering school).
You have a strong experience (at least 5 years with a Master’s degree, at least three years with a PhD) in research support or research in bioinformatics, biostatistics or biological data analysis. Experience in service is strongly advantageous. A teaching experience in bioinformatics/biostatistics would be a plus. Knowledge of large-scale biological data analysis is a must; knowledge in image analysis is recommended, but not essential.
You will have strong team-playing abilities and be able to interact with researchers from many fields, including biology, physics, mathematics and computer science. A friendly, outgoing personality and excellent communication skills are required, as is the ability to work independently.
Previous leadership experience will be an advantage.
The working language of CENTURI is English, but proficiency in French is beneficial.
What we offer
CENTURI offers a vibrant, highly interactive working environment with the ability to work with researchers and engineers from many disciplines. Your expertise will help shape the data sharing and analysis platform and you will be able to learn from, as well as distribute your knowledge in the CENTURI community.
CENTURI offers a three-year contract from the Aix-Marseille Université.
Deadline for application: November 23, 2018
Applications should include:
- a CV (including a list of publications)
- a cover letter (describing past experience with data analysis)
- two recommendation letters